Reiki Principles for Daily Life
One of the things I love about a New Year is that it feels like a New Beginning. And it is. The hustle and bustle of the holidays is behind us. And it’s a time of thinking about what we want to create or focus on in the New Year.
Yet our LIFE is made of MOMENTS. So while it’s valuable to have Dreams and Goals having a way to elevate our experience of day to day life is equally important.
Just like computers get bogged down when multiple programs are running we can get overloaded with concerns, tasks, and life in general. That’s why we benefit from practices that help us re-set and refresh our energy each day (yoga, meditation, exercise, Reiki).I’ve personally found the Reiki Principles to be quite powerful (especially the first one “just for today I will not worry.”).
- Today I choose to be Free of Worry** (or Just for Today I will not Worry).
- Today I choose to be Free of Anger or Impatience (or Just for Today I will not Anger).
- Today I choose to Live with Gratitude and Love.
- Today I choose to be Kind (and Compassionate) toward all, including myself.
- Today I choose to Live and Work in Integrity and be of Service.
- Engaging the Reiki principles (reading, remembering, listening and or reciting) is a practice in and of itself.
I’ve made modifications of the Reiki Principles and you’ll find other versions online (including on my site). The founder of Reiki, Mikao Usui, was said to have recited a version of the Reiki Principles daily.
*Note the Reiki Principles don’t operate like affirmations and that is why it is okay to use the word ‘not.’ They work instead by invoking contemplation.
** What if you could never worry again? How liberating would that be? When you do find yourself worrying think the words “Just for today (or just for this moment) I will not worry.” And notice what happens.